Sunday, April 5, 2009

Frugal Beauty

As I'm about to devulge my most frugal beauty secrets you're probably gonna think I'm a bit nutso! I'm the kind of person that will try just about anything once. So when someone told me to use baking soda as a facial scrub....I did! And I've used it ever since! Just pour a little bit into the palm of your hand add some water and gently scrub your face and neck all over. Get under your nose and above your lips and all over that face of yours. Rinse off and pat dry. I've even read about this being compared to microdermabrasion and we all know thats a bit pricey and time consuming compared to a few minutes and a box of Arm & Hammer. My girlfriend that told me about this noticed a difference in my skin a few weeks later and was all 'see I told ya so!' My skin and wallet have been thanking her ever since!













I tried the whole Vaseline over problem areas on my skin and it worked for awhile but like most everything else I've tried this too stopped working so well for me. I do continue to use it on my lips from time to time. I like to put something on my lips before bed so they don't dry out. I was told to apply Vaseline to dry spots and blemishes before makeup and bed so you can try this method also and see if it you have any luck.

















Prepare yourself for this trick....I hope you're sitting down and don't die of laughter reading this but I swear by it! I use Extra Virgin Olive Oil on my face. Yes, I have a bit of a mini kitchen going on in my bathroom cabinet but I'm telling ya it works for me! Here's the link I read that actually suckered me into trying this. I have combination, oily, dry, acne prone, in other words pathetic skin. I've never used the suggested sunflower oil but I have mixed my olive oil with castor oil when my acne wants to flare up and it nips it in the bud so to speak. If I was any good at taking care of my skin I would do this faithfully every single day because when I do my skin truely behaves. Another perk with the oil is that I find I don't even need to mess with eye makeup remover most days because it removes that for me too! Again, frugality at its best! A way to save a bit of time and water is to go to the kitchen and wet your washcloth and then pop it in the microwave to get it all 'spa steamy' before applying to your face. I do this a few times and then wipe any remaining eye makeup off when I'm done.














So on a typical day I never use any soap on my face. I either cleanse with oil or use baking soda as my scrub but I always apply a little bit of olive oil all over my face, even on my eyelids because they tend to dry out, as a moisturizer before applying makeup and before bed. I rub this in really good and give it time to really soak in. My skin tends to feel dry without it and my little lines that come with age are less visible keeping me looking like I'm in my early 20's! Thank you olives!! The olive oil is great on your lips too as it makes them super shiney and sooo soft.

I've tried so many products out there but these simple things from our kitchens have worked like no others. You have to give them time though. Its not an over night thing however the scrub I noticed right away especially under my eyes. As for the olive oil, it has sooo many other uses as its packed full of vitamins. Look it up if you have time, you'll be amazed! I like that they are natural ingredients cause I feel so 'green' using them and I'm saving a ton of money that can be spent on other little luxuries like Bare Escentuals Dolly lip gloss! This color looks good on any skin type and has that lip plumpin' cooling tingly feel so we can all look a bit Hollywood!















I've been working on easier, healthier, safer alternatives to the harsh chemicals we so easily use day in and day out. Some safer alternatives we already have and just need to look at in different ways. Crazy as some may seem...you may be surprised at what they can do for you too.

No comments:

Post a Comment