Saturday, April 4, 2009

Awakenings

After hitting up good ole' McDonalds for their awesomely sweet Sweet Tea one has to check out whats playing in their Redbox as you get a free DVD rental with your large drink. So what does this mean for my 'blog stalkers' as I like to refer to anyone (if there is anyone) that reads my blog? Movie Reviews of course!!!



















Awakenings, beings as though it has Robert De Niro and Robin Williams you can rest assured its a good flick. Its about a super compassionate caring doctor that seeks to find change in chronically ill patients. I found myself smiling a lot throughout the movie just because it makes you feel good watching someone that actually cares about helping others. A very sweet movie based on true events. It had me smiling and laughing.

Many many years ago (yes, I know I'm making myself sound soooo old but my late teen years was so long ago) I worked in a nursing home so this movie brought back a lot of memories. Caring for the elderly can be a bit challenging yet very rewarding at the same time. I remember when I first started and was touring the facility going into the Alzheimer's Unit I definitely did not want to end up on that wing! Patients were yelling 'help me' and were just well, very different from what I was expecting. After a few shifts on that 'dreaded wing' of the building I had a change of heart. I got to know who these people were and just really felt for them as they couldn't communicate in the ways we so easily do. You really have to take the time to listen and try to understand where they are coming from. One lady was on a puree diet and getting her to eat was a struggle but if you gave her some 'real' food she would eat it all up, such a simple change ended up being made and she was able to enjoy food again. Telling one you were their mother (obviously I am no where near being close to that) and loved them and wanted them to get some rest would ease some to fall asleep peacefully. Changing little things and making them feel loved made a world of difference. I'd freak out when someone would ask if I took care of so and so the other day only to learn that they loved the fact that I took the time to put their lotion on them or spent a little extra time making sure they were comfortable and had everything the way they liked. I was surprised I was being requested upon as I felt everyone should be taking the time to do such little things but weren't. I couldn't help but care for them all like they were my own grandparents. I have such a weak spot for others. Especially ones that need caring for.

Years after working there and moving states away my own grandmother was placed in that very nursing home so going to visit her there was hard. I remember visiting her while she was eating dinner and she looked up at me and appeared to know who I was instantly. Now, I honestly doubt she knew it was me per say but just the look in her eyes made my heart melt. So many people in nursing homes never have any visitors. I guess its because their family doesn't think they will realize they are there or will even remember who you are and that's just sad. I don't know if my grandmother ever remembered our visits or really acknowledged who I was but I know she was there and I know who I was visiting and I will always cherish those times.

No comments:

Post a Comment